7 Foods your Pet should never eat

Milk and other dairy products

While a glass of cold milk can do your body good, it is not the same for your pets. Neither cats nor dogs have systems that carry enough lactase, the enzyme that helps break down lactose. As a result, introducing cow’s milk or milk-based into their diets can lead to digestive issues including upset stomach and diarrhea, or even food allergies.


Chocolate contains theobromine, an alkaloid that’s chemically similar to caffeine. The imagesCAFXY9MJchemically pure analog of theobromine is used in medicine as a diuretic and heart stimulant. Most people have no problem digesting the theobromine found in chocolate, but it’s a different story for dogs. They metabolize theobromine more slowly and can get sick and die from eating too much chocolate.

Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs and Bones

Raw meat and raw eggs can contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli that can be harmful to pets. In addition, raw eggs contain an enzyme called avidin that decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin), which can lead to skin and coat problems. Feeding your pet raw bones may seem like a natural and healthy option but this can be very dangerous as a pet might choke on bones, or sustain a grave injury should the bone splinter and become lodged in or puncture their digestive tract.


Garlic is a big no-no when it comes to our feline friends. While it seems that animals can digest small amounts of garlic powder, larger amounts can make them anemic and cause gastrointestinal problems. In the case of garlic, the culprit is the chemical compound thiosulfate, which is naturally occurring and difficult for dogs and cats to process.

Grapes & Raisins

Though grapes and raisins offer nutritional benefits for humans, it’s crucial to keep them out of your pet’s reach. They are very harmful to pets and can cause hyperactivity and repeated vomiting, lethargy, depression, kidney failure or even loss of life. In addition to keeping grapes and raisins from your pet, you also need to keep away products such as fruit salads, cereals, granola bars, and raisin bicuits.screen-shot-2013-06-19-at-4_27_59-pm-1371684538


Onions can easily kill your pets. The levels of thiosulfate found in onions means that even small amounts can hurt and quickly kill your dog, cat and other pets. Onions also contain allyl propyl disulfide, which causes permanent damage to red blood cells, causing anemia and oxygen deprivation. Animals that eat onions can suffer from liver damage, discolored urine, difficulty breathing, dermatitis and anemia.


It’s not only the edible skin of the avocado that’s worrisome when it comes to your pets. The entire avocado plant, the seed, bark and leaves contain persin and can sicken and kill any animal that eats it. If you keep avocados in the house make sure to keep them well out of the reach of your pets.


No matter how careful we are with our pets unfortunately, they can still become ill. With our comprehensive Pet Insurance you can be sure that your favourite pet will receive the best of medical care whenever the need occurs, up to the limits as stated in the pet insurance policy wording. Taking out pet insurance need not be a costly purchase; we have three cover levels to suit different budgets.

Log on to http://www.petinsurance.ie/ or call us on 0818 286 454 for a quote on great value Pet Insurance today!